It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm

DRM is not in Darkspore

Anything and everything Darkspore.

DRM is not in Darkspore

Postby MaxisCactus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey guys,

I’ve gotten some questions about DRM and Darkspore and want to clear up any confusion.

Many of you already know this, but I just want to underscore again that Darkspore will not include DRM.

I’ve seen some confusion about the requirement of being connected to the internet to play. As an online game that we’re happy for you to play on multiple machines, we’re storing your progress on our servers. The point of this is to make it easier for our players to get to the game, not harder. :)

Hope that clears up any mixups!

-MC
MaxisCactus
Site Admin

Re: DRM is not in Darkspore

Postby Inyssius » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm

So... if the servers are down, will I still be able to play?
Inyssius
Necrotic Spawn

Postby MaxisCactus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:11 pm

That's a valid concern. Nope, just like with most every online game out there, if our servers are down, our online game will be temporarily unavailable. Our team will be working very hard to keep downtime to a minimum, but it's a necessary part of servicing an online game.

-MC
MaxisCactus
Site Admin

Postby TryTill_IDie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Please say this a little clearer, are you saying that access to this game will be impossible if internet is down? If so you cut a chunk out've the market if not that's good news.
TryTill_IDie
Necrotic Spawn

Postby Turgul_Delarion » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:41 pm

More specifically: can I play the *single player* game without internet access (i.e. on an airplane, at my cottage, etc)?

-Robin
Turgul_Delarion
Necrotic Spawn

Postby Felluck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Darkspore is just like many other online-focused games for the PC. You have to be connected to play. Think of it like a massively multiplayer online game, like World of Warcraft, or League of Legends.
Felluck

Postby Davyjonesx » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Tnx for the info, to bad we can'tplay offline tho, nice avatar btw :p
Davyjonesx
Plasmic Orbiter

Postby Moltanem » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Figured this would be as good as any place to ask, since it's playability related. But I was wondering what happens to our accounts when the beta ends? do we have to restart completely once we've purchased it, or will our progress be saved? (I'm guessing the later, thus the level cap, but I figured I'd ask it anyways just to make sure).
Moltanem
Necrotic Spawn

Postby MaxisMikella » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 pm

@Moltanem All accounts will be reset from the beta tests for the official game release. We are still working on a bunch of changes that we want everyone to experience once the game comes out! :)
Lauren McHugh
Gameplay Engineer
MaxisMikella
Developer

Postby Rebecca1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:19 am

Can't wait for the changes - Between now and session one, there's been a massive amount of improvements :3

As for offline/online play. Think of the hundreds of online games out there, and how uncommon it is to not connect. Plus, the Sims Online seems to have been pretty stable, even if it was years ago... I've only just realized both my parents were the two top players in that, and I'm pretty high up in Spore O_O Oh God, creepy.

ANYWAY. I'm sure Maxis has already considered this, but just in case, would it not be a possible to have a back-up offline/single-player world for Darkspore? Should the servers ever collapse randomly, users can play in an offline-mode. I understand account data is stored onto the servers - perhaps this could be a sort of sandbox?
Spore Profile · DeviantArt · YouTube · Darkspore Group on DeviantArt
Don't forget the Forum Guidelines - Feel free to contact me if you need anything!
Rebecca1208

Postby Felluck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:26 am

Rebecca1208 wrote:ANYWAY. I'm sure Maxis has already considered this, but just in case, would it not be a possible to have a back-up offline/single-player world for Darkspore? Should the servers ever collapse randomly, users can play in an offline-mode. I understand account data is stored onto the servers - perhaps this could be a sort of sandbox?

I wouldn't be surprised if Maxis sets up something like that in 5-10 years or so, or whenever they close down the official Darkspore servers. Other companies have done similar things in the past, I believe.
Felluck

Postby Tigue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 am

Though I do like the concept of the "online-world" and at this point, I can't help but be concerned about the long-term effect this will have on the game and its lack of playability in the event that internet is down, or EA/Maxis find another "more important" project to move onto. It would seem to me that having SOME form of single-player or at least LAN capability would be beneficial for sales initially and also gives your player base a little more "confidence" in the title; knowing that SHOULD something happen to the game in a few years, such as EA or Maxis shutting down their servers, we the players aren't left with yet another useless coaster to rest our coffee mugs on...

Call me pessimistic, but the fact is that EA at least, has been reknown for pulling resources in the past (Earth and Beyond, Motor City Online, the list goes on) and having no way to continue playing the game in the event that this happens again, is really a turn off to myself (and im sure others) who have been burned by them in the past.
Tigue
Necrotic Spawn

Postby FrozenSquall » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 am

@Tigue
blame piracy not Maxis they are just protecting their investment.
And that fact that 90% of the people on this forum pirate most of their content in the first place...its a wise move.
FrozenSquall
Necrotic Spawn

Postby TryTill_IDie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 pm

Rebecca1208 wrote:Can't wait for the changes - Between now and session one, there's been a massive amount of improvements :3

As for offline/online play. Think of the hundreds of online games out there, and how uncommon it is to not connect. Plus, the Sims Online seems to have been pretty stable, even if it was years ago... I've only just realized both my parents were the two top players in that, and I'm pretty high up in Spore O_O Oh God, creepy.

ANYWAY. I'm sure Maxis has already considered this, but just in case, would it not be a possible to have a back-up offline/single-player world for Darkspore? Should the servers ever collapse randomly, users can play in an offline-mode. I understand account data is stored onto the servers - perhaps this could be a sort of sandbox?

Sure, Online is fun but the stability is terrible I want to play darkspore until after Ea has all their servers shutdown. like 10 years in the future...
TryTill_IDie
Necrotic Spawn

Postby TryTill_IDie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 pm

FrozenSquall wrote:@Tigue
blame piracy not Maxis they are just protecting their investment.
And that fact that 90% of the people on this forum pirate most of their content in the first place...its a wise move.

Not that I'm supporting piracy, but If I found out now that this game will have it's servers removed 5 years in the future or less, I would not be inclined to buy it, or even pirate it.
TryTill_IDie
Necrotic Spawn

Postby TryTill_IDie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Rebecca1208 wrote:Can't wait for the changes - Between now and session one, there's been a massive amount of improvements :3

Not gonna buy this game, period because of that single fact. I'm just going to buy diablo 3 much better then this game and the creativety is unimportant because of it's incredible lack of control.
Would have bought it if all they removed was the flexibility. too bad I'm not buying it and that removes a total of ten people that would have bought it.
TryTill_IDie
Necrotic Spawn

Postby Felluck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:00 pm

TryTill_IDie wrote:Sure, Online is fun but the stability is terrible I want to play darkspore until after Ea has all their servers shutdown. like 10 years in the future...

TryTill_IDie wrote:Not that I'm supporting piracy, but If I found out now that this game will have it's servers removed 5 years in the future or less, I would not be inclined to buy it, or even pirate it.

I can't speak officially for Maxis, and even if I could no one can predict the future, but often in cases like this, when a game reaches the end of its life cycle, developers release an update that allows people to play the game offline. Again, I can't promise that it will happen for Darkspore, but it's a reasonable thing to hope for, 5 or 10 years down the road. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the user license agreement for Darkspore it even promises that the game servers will stay online a certain number of years. Anyone wanna look through it for me? :D
Felluck

Postby Inyssius » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

MaxisCactus wrote:That's a valid concern. Nope, just like with most every online game out there, if our servers are down, our online game will be temporarily unavailable. Our team will be working very hard to keep downtime to a minimum, but it's a necessary part of servicing an online game.

Then it's not DRM, it's just worse than DRM in almost every way?
Inyssius
Necrotic Spawn

Postby Inyssius » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Felluck wrote:I can't speak officially for Maxis, and even if I could no one can predict the future, but often in cases like this, when a game reaches the end of its life cycle, developers release an update that allows people to play the game offline.

It's certainly true that, in cases like this, developers often promise that when the game reaches the end of its life cycle they will release an update that allows people to play the game offline.

How often does it actually happen?
Inyssius
Necrotic Spawn

Postby Felluck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:44 pm

I don't know exactly how often. Usually by the time it's 10 years after a game has been released, no one is really interested in playing it anymore anyway, so it's usually only games that still have active players. All I'm saying is that it's possible people will be able to continue to play the game even after it's no longer officially supported. :)
Felluck

Next

Return to Darkspore Discussion